Reducing absence and persistent absence is a vital and integral part of our school. The Local Authority works closely with St Mary's to:
- help us achieve our target attendance figure of 97%
- promote children's welfare and safeguarding
- ensure every pupil has access to the full-time education to which they are entitled
- ensure that pupils succeed whilst at school
- ensure that pupils have access to the widest possible range of opportunities when they leave school.
Promoting regular school attendance is a key component in the Government's strategy to raise educational standards. Our school attendance is on an upward trend as you can see from the figures below;
- September 2016 - August 2017 = 93.19%
- September 2015 - August 2016 = 95.0%
- September 2014 - August 2015 = 96.2%
- September 2013 - August 2014 = 95.9%
- September 2012 - August 2013 = 94.7%
- September 2011 - August 2012 = 94.0%
- September 2010 - August 2011 = 93.0%
In case of illness please notify the school by phone or letter at the beginning of the absence. A letter/text will be sent home if this is not done so that parents will know of any absences.
The Government has implemented new legislation effective from 1st September 2013 which means that no requests for holidays can be authorised except in exceptional circumstances.
Definition of an exceptional circumstance is deemed by the Local Authority and not by School.
If a parent/carer wishes to apply to take their child out of school during term time they must complete a leave of absence form and this should be submitted to the school at least 4 weeks before the proposed start of the holiday and before booking the holiday. If the absence is not related to exceptional circumstance, the Local Authority will impose a fine on parents.
Please see link below from Doncaster Council regarding holidays during term time.
The Education Welfare Office works closely with the school to help minimise absenteeism. All pupils whose absence falls to 90% or less will be referred to the Educational Welfare Officer who will then make a follow up visit to the home.